Thursday 7 July 2016

Something interesting about coffee and calcium

As I was having one of many coffees the other day, I began thinking that I was drinking far too much coffee. It came to me when my heart began this weird dance in my chest. I got to thinking about packing it all in but then I realised, my coffees are my only source of calcium a day! I don’t eat cereal, because I’m not a child and I barely eat cheese because of the scary monsters that live under my bed.

This then got me thinking, how much calcium do we actually need per day? Oh and also why the fuck am I still paying attention to the idea that calcium makes your bones stronger? That’s what my mum said when I was a kid, she also said stuff about going blind yet I didn’t take that advice on board!

The recommended daily intake of calcium is between 1,000 and 1,200 milligrams a day. Unless your pregnant or lactating, that doesn’t and will never apply to me, but if it does to you then give yourself 1,500 milligrams.

What the fuck that all means.

There is about 275 milligrams of calcium in a cup of milk. I know this because I just googled it. So in order for me to get the right amount of calcium into my body, to make my bones nice and strong, I need to drink 3.6 cups of milk per day. If I were to continue to use my coffee as a way of ingesting my daily calcium intake, I would need to drink about 7 cups of coffee a day, yes my coffee is half full of milk, don’t judge me, you’re just as weird as I am.

So, if like me, you want to get your recommended daily intake of calcium and use a fun way of doing it, drink 7 cups of coffee a day and bounce around the fucking walls all day and annoy anyone you come into contact with.

Well, this just goes to show how wrong you can be. I turned to the internet for advice, worrying about my calcium intake and now I find that I need to drink even more coffee rather than giving it up! At least I know and have dodged a bullet! Hopefully you have learnt something today about calcium and have dodged a bullet yourself!

Remember the rules, if you found this blog interesting then you have to share it with your friends. If you didn’t then follow the blog and wait for something you do find interesting and then share that instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment