Saturday 9 July 2016

Something interesting about a haberdashery


As I was watching a film the other night, to relax and unwind after a day of avoiding real work, I stumbled across the word ‘haberdashery’ and realised that I had no idea what it meant.

 I can not say what film I was watching as I do not have the funds to pay the charges of doing such as thing, but it was the eighth installment in a directors arsenal and it was all set in a place called Minnie’s Haberdashery. If you don’t know who or what I am talking about, read yourself Ezekiel 25:17 or I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance!

Anywhoo, I asked my dad, cos he’s old and the word sounds old so I thought that the planets would align. He didn’t know so then I was stuck. Then I remembered this thing called the internet, you might have heard of it. I went on there and….

What the fuck did I find?

Haberdashery, here is the UK means a shop that sells cloths, thread, pins and stuff used for sewing. In the US it means clothing for men, or a shop that sell it. The word originally comes from haberdasher, which is the person who made the stuff to sell. Pretty cool job name if you ask me!

So I got thinking about that film again, “...like a forest it’s easy to lose our way…to forget where you came in”. No idea why that quote is in there! Anyway, in the film, the haberdashery sells sweets, coffee, had a bed (no idea why, I hope for the people that live in the haberdashery and not for the sordid things I am thinking about) and at no point did we see any men being tailored or any sewing stuff being bought! I’m not angry, I am just disappointed.

Well, now you know what haberdashery means, I hope I haven’t spoilt the film for you, I don’t want a bunch of angry people (perhaps a group of eight that are hateful) commenting saying anything mean.

Anyway, you know the rules, if you found it interesting or didn’t know the meaning you have to share it! Thanks for reading and I’ll catch you at dogs, you inglorious bastards!



No comments:

Post a Comment