Monday 11 July 2016

Something interesting about an itch


I got to thinking the other day about itches, after scratching my head for a few moments, pun, I decided that I should write an article about itching. Now, if you have begun to scratch because of reading the word itch, I am sorry but I am feeling the same writing it so to understand what an itch is, we must control the itch, this is becoming far too karate kid!

What is an itch. 

There are a couple of theories as to why we itch. The first one goes something like this, animals itch to get parasites out of their fur and off their skin. Our itching is simply a carryover from this instinct. We itch because we were once apes, damn dirty, parasite infested apes! doesn’t that make you want a shower!

The second theory is a little more fancy, basically, the theory is that the feeling of pain and the feeling of an itch engage many of the same areas of the brain. When you scratch an itch, you are causing yourself just enough pain to relieve the itch. 

Apparently, an itch is best left unscratched but I don’t buy that. What if your skin is crawling with parasites right this second and that itch you aren’t scratching is the only thing that can get rid of them? you’re going to scratch it, right? 

Well, I hope that last paragraph made you look crazy on your commute to work. You know the rules, if you found out something new, found the article interesting or in this case, just want to make your friends itch then share it with them. See you tomorrow for something else interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment